I speak English....Do I?

The following are sentences on random thought. Fill in the blanks using one of the options in parenthesis. If you feel no addition is necessary, leave the gap blank. You may also reword the sentences as needed. Please correct all spelling errors.



My name is AbC. I am a/an...........(Nigerian, American, Indian, Briton) and I speak English.

I had to explain that...............(soccer/football) is a game involving a team of eleven men kicking a ball towards a goal post at one end of the field while trying to prevent the opposite team from doing the same at the other end.

Brad Pitt is the.............(hero/lead actor) in Mr. and Mrs. Smith.

How are you? I am............(fine/well/good).

The decorative pillows found on your.............(couch/sofa/settee) are called (cushions/throw pillows/toss pillows).

When the person I am going..........(out/around/steady) with gets into my car, I hold open the front passenger door on the .......(right/left)-hand-side for her.

I just learned that the volkswagen.......(beetle/bug) has its..........(trunk/boot) where its.........(hood/bonnet) is supposed to be.

I have to climb a flight of stairs to get to my...........(flat/apartment) on the...........(first/second) floor. I really hope management would put in a............(lift/elevator) soon. Otherwise, I will be moving down to the.........(first/ground) floor.


I got a lot of..........(diapers/nappies) at my baby shower. No one gave me a baby......(pram/carriage).

For the last time, the.........(duvet/comforter) goes on the bed, the.........(dirt/trash/rubbish) go in the............(trash can/dust bin), hang the..........(pants/trousers) in the (closet/cupboard/wardrobe), the..........(chips/crisps) go in the fridge and the phone stays in the.........(parlor/living room/drawing room).

.............(Cutlery/Silverware) just get in the way when eating..........(fries/chips).
Would you like to have some............(biscuits/scones)? No, Thank you. I would rather some........(biscuits/cookies) instead.
Excuse me sir, I have a ..............(doubt/question) about how to solve this math problem.

I.............(passed out of/graduated from)................(college/university) five years ago. I am a member of the........(Class/set) of 2004.

............(Colours/ Colors) of the wind was the last play I saw at the ............. (theatre/theater). The play held on 04/03/2010, i.e ............. (April 3rd/ March 4th) of 2010.

The word anti-gravity is pronounced ........... (an-TEA/ an-TIE)-gravity.


I promise, I speak perfect English.


0 Responses

" Yay or Nay? "