JaanEmann- Then & Now

So, this strike has got me watching and re-watching lots of movies, sometimes with positive results.
Jaan-E-Mann

I first saw JaanEmann about 2 years ago. It was one of the first movies seen in my bollywood rediscovery period. I didn't quite like it at the time, couldn't really pinpoint why. The initial wannabe-ness of the characters, maybe?
As the movie started, I remember my first thought being "why is she wearing that ridiculous wig and where exactly is that accent supposed to be from?" Then, Salman comes on and starts speaking english like say him no dey shite (ie he sounded as if he was above actions as mundane as pooping). What finally sealed it though was a miniature anupam kher, his personal assistant and words repeatedly beginning with "bon...". That was a scene that I could most definitely have done without and which pretty much decided the fate of the movie. Too bad that the movie hadn't even properly begun yet. I did watch it to the end but I was already biased.

Second watch, not so bad. JaanEmann is actually a pretty film once you get used to the flamboyance of the storytelling. In fact, I quite liked its narration style. The story/script wasn't bad either. I know that JaanEmann is not meant to be a remake of any movie but I kept thinking "This is a much better hindi version of Hitch than Partner could ever be. And that's without even trying." As for the characters, I absolutely loved Akshay's, his laughter cracked me up each and every time. Preity was lovable as usual. I really do wish Salman hadn't taken the pains to over exaggerate everything. There were moments where he acted like a normal human being that made me think, hey, not bad! (at least for Salman).

Overall, it seems JaanEmann might just make it into my DVD library. Also, I do see myself making an effort to watch Shrish's next film.


Image via Wikipedia



0 Responses

" Yay or Nay? "