25+ Random Thoughts & Actions Relating to Indian Cinema

I n the facebook spirit of sharing everything you didn't want to know about me and my momma, here's a list of stuff about Indian cinema...stuff...


- Why is K-jo so addicting? I mean, I love to hate on him as much as the next person but I find myself watching his movies again and again, over and over. Say what you may about him, I find his movies awesome. Maybe because they have the just the right amount of everything. By the way, a K-Jo movie maranthon is such a bad idea. You (I) end up, a day and half later, with puffy eyes and a splitting headache from all the tears and nose-blowing. Back to K-Jo's addictiveness though, I've gone into complete withdrawal with no new KWK episodes to feast on. Be done filming already and start season 3!

- After my hindi movie marathons (a weekend-ly* event), I tend to think in hindi. Wait, that's not true anymore. I think in hindi pretty much all the time now even with my sparse knowledge of the language. Genius that I am, I get from one point in the sentence to the other by inserting yoruba (my native language) words for stuff unknown. This cracks me up because english is the default language of my thoughts/speech.

- Why, Oh why does Saif Ali Khan look so old these days?

- I am strolling down the street, listening to music on my mp3 player. Suddenly, I stop and stand very still for about a minute. Why? Aaja nachle/Dhoom taana/Kajra re etc has just come on and I literally have to stop myself from re-enacting the steps.

- Again while on the street, I am often tempted to put my hands on my head and shout Aiyyo! for no reason whatsoever.

- I am still trying to understand the South Indian fascination with [wacky] moustaches, on film. Someone please enlighten me!

- I have a huge crush on Siddharth Narayan.

- I am also still trying to figure out what grouse the costume person (I know there's a more technical term) in South Indian films has with their female leads. I mean, I absolutely love Bommarillu, could have babies with, but why did Genelia look like that? The looks have been getting better since, but still...
SURYA's Sanjay was much better than Aamir Khan's....Short term memory loss does not equal bonkers, right?
- I am one of the minority that think Salaam-e-ishq is an awesome movie, even after the third watch. Don't judge me.

- Every recent picture of Rekha[-ji] makes me wonder why she is so keen on being cast as a witch doctor.

- Can someone please tell me how South Indian heroes get their nicknames. Prince, Mega Star, Super Star, Power Star, Little Super Star. Where do these come from?

- I'm probably gonna get flack for this but I thought Surya's Sanjay was much better than Aamir Khan's. While I salute the end Aamir wrote for his Ghajini, I don't quite understand why his Sanjay seemed so craaaazy. Short term memory loss does not equal bonkers, right?

- I can't get over how talented Boman Irani is. The guy can play anybody, anybody at all, and with utter conviction too. I could probably meet him in real life and have him convince me that he really isn't Boman Irani even though the Id card, passport and birth certificate on him, say that he is. He's that good. (Kay Kay Menon is also ranked on this list)

- Why is Ash so much more convincing as a village girl, than as a glam queen?

- I miss Preity. Where is Preity? (No, heroes & videsh don't count)

- I hope Vivek Oberoi gets to play lead again one day.

- Is it just me or does it look like Salman's hair is thinning out?

- I will shoot the next person I have to tell that "Slumdog millionaire is NOT an Indian movie!"

- Back to the missing persons' list: Rani & Saif together, w/o kids, please. Substitution with Abhishek is permitted.

- The first Malayalam movies I saw (Notebook, Chocolate) blew me away with how they managed to find just the right balance between the West, Hindi and South movies. Very refreshing.

- Rampwalk Remo! This phrase pops into my head, from time to time, for no reason at all.

- One fine day, back in third grade, some friends and I decided to sing our favorite songs during recess. Taking turns, each person sings one spice girl song or the other. Finally its my turn. All eyes are on me, silence all round. I clear my throat, open my mouth, and out comes-
Yeh dosti, hum nahin chodenge...
I don't have to say what happened next. By the week after, I knew the America's Top 40 chart by heart.

- As a child, Sholay, Amar Akhbar Anthony, Ye Vada Raha, Dharam Veer etc, were my staple diet. Oh,how I miss those sword fights (more like broomstick fight) with my brother after each viewing of Dharam Veer.We later got weaned off indian movies and I only rediscovered them in 2007. Ever since, I've been on a mission to recruit a fan following for Indian cinema. Sadly, there are so very few people with good taste (sigh).

- So I know that Hrithik Roshan is awesome and now a total stud and everything. Everytime I see him, though, all I keep going back to that scene in Yadein (or was it Mujhse dosti karogi?) where he confronts Kareena, with a huge, throbbing vein in his forehead. It was really very bothersome.
INDIAN CINEMA's been making me anti-social these days. I don't go out to eat, pick up phone calls, call others or go visiting anymore....
- Does anyone else quite frequently mistake Amisha Patel for Amrita Arora(insert new last name here), and vice versa? (not necessarily due to physical similarity)

-Ofo! has taken up permanent residence in my daily vocabulary.

- Indian cinema's been making me anti-social these days. I don't go out to eat, pick up phone calls, call others or go visiting anymore; Cuts too much into my movie viewing time. Now that I think about it, I may even have to reconsider this blog...


...to be continued


*Yes, I make up words 'cos I am awesome like that
P.S: I'm not quite sure I have learnt the proper use of pullquotes but hey, it looks pretty...





2 Responses
  1. Such a fun, fun, FUN post! Loved reading it...

    I love the 'Yeh Dosti' story... hilarious!
    And it's not just you - Sallu is definitely losing his hair. I think he desperately needs a style makeover to keep from looking like an embarrassing uncle in a few years!

    And I too love Ash with minimal makeup, simply (and traditionally) dressed. When she gets all dolled up, she looks... like a doll!

    And I so agree with you on K-Jo - there are many things about the guy that I don't exactly love, but he is a bit of a genius, isn't he? There's something he does that just... works.

    And wow... you're Yoruba? Nigerian, by any chance? I'm Nigerian myself... and Igbo girl.

    Keep up the great work... I love your blog!


  2. Yay, my first comment! Aww, I feel all warm and fuzzy now. Thank You!

    Yes, I am Nigerian. Generally considered a traitor by family and friends 'cos I've [wisely] traded watching naija movies (& hollywood for the most part) for Oh-so-awesome-bollywood. Thanks for confirming that I'm not insane, or at least not the only one who is:)


" Yay or Nay? "